Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2016

What's your Favorite _________?

Hello, and Happy September to all of you. I do hope this finds you and yours healthy and well. 

Someone really asked me this recently: "What is your favorite element to work with, just one?" Really? Really. That's like asking me what's your favorite Beatles song? Impossible! What is your favorite element? I can't answer that. Is it just me?

Ceramics were my first love, and the collection I continue to build is filled with little pieces of art. I love taking them out and holding them, staring at them, simply enjoying them, as you would any piece of art. But ceramics don't stand alone. I need copper and maybe glass, and whatever else I might choose to use. So I could never simply answer "ceramics." 

And lately I am being drawn more often to Lampwork glass. I've always used it and enjoyed it, but I am developing a much bigger appreciation for it and the many amazing ways the very talented Lampwork artists create with it. 

These earrings started with the Lampwork glass disks in a soft, weathered light olive green by Leese Mahoney of GlassByLeese, with an orange-like amber edge. I had my eye on the tan and orange stone-like Lampwork beads by Terry Turner of SilverFishDesigns to work into the design. Before actually working out a design, I thought I might want a pair of beadcaps. I couldn't find anything in my stash that looked quite right so I pounded out two small, rustic, flat pieces of copper sheet metal, distressed them, curled them under here and there. They're rough and rustic, and I liked them. 

"Vintage Ferris Wheel"
Here's the rest of the design process. I strung 20-gauge copper wire through the disk, brought the wire together at the top and put several glass beads and a blackened brass rice bead on the wire on both sides of the disks. I joined the wires together at the top of the disk, leaving just a bit of room above the disk, and used a Nephrite Jade stone with a large enough hole to fit both wires. I separated the wires a bit and put blackened brass rice beads side by side. Brought the wires together again and put on the Lampwork glass bead, topped it with a bead cap, and wrapped the remainder of the wire in a double loop. 
"Vintage Ferris Wheel"


That's that! i re-made these earrings a couple of times each. They didn't come together easily. Eventually I worked it out, and I liked them! 

As always, I thank you all for stopping by and visiting with us today. Comments and questions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Norbel 
She Flies Again - Etsy Shop
You can find me on Facebook
and Instagram

12 comments:

  1. Oh, what a difficult question to be asked...name your favorite element to work with. I am with you on that...impossible to answer.

    Wonderful pair of earrings Norbel. Love the handmade bead caps. They complement the rest of the beads perfectly and indeed look very rustic. I hope one day I have enough space to actually work with metal as well. Very clever how you put the brass rice beads next to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janine. I wish for you as well to be able to work with metal. But in reality, once you cut a piece of sheet metal into a working size, very little space is required. Unless you want to spend a whole lot of time filing with hand files, and straining your arms and hand, :) using a dremel would add on another piece of space. But it does not require a whole workbench as you might imagine. I don't even have a saw yet so I use tin snips to cut the sheet to a workable piece and then most of the shaping comes from the dremel. You would make fabulous metal pieces!! I have no doubt. Thank you, Janine, as always, for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. That is a tough question for sure. I think I could say Copper is my favorite and glass a close second, but I love them all!! I also often take them out and hold them, I love the sound and feel of beads rolling around in my hands! I love the end result, these earrings are unusual and beautiful!! I always love your designs Norbel! Thank you for sharing some of your process with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi. Tough question, yes, and it was impossible. Yay, you play with beads too! lol It's entirely different than the marbles and doll clothes of childhood, but it is such an enjoyable part of life. I love viewing art, too, just looking at it, but the tactile part of holding them, and as you say, the sound of them, too, is such a part of the experience. I love it! Thank you, Kristi, for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!! And I'm glad you like the earrings. They're a bit out there, I suppose, but I like 'em. :)

      Delete
  3. I would admit that natural "stones" are in most of my earrings: pearls, minerals, tektites. But then there is my handmade polymer, often made to look like minerals. And who could forget lamp work. But then again, I favor lamp work that looks like minerals or seashells. It is BOTH AND, always.

    Your design is astonishing. I love how you invent techniques to fit your elements. I love the harmony of these earrings. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, BOTH AND, yes. Perfect way to describe it. Everything you mentioned goes back to "natural," even if they are "faux natural," which doesn't make sense perhaps except to me! :) But it does. I appreciate the circle there.

      Thank you so much for your words about my work. Your viewing it as inventing techniques to fit the elements is indeed the highest praise! It is how I work sometimes. I love such a variety of things to work with that I sometimes do have to do just that. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your descriptions of what I do. They help clarify things for me. Truly. Thank you, Susan.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work Norbel! Your earrings turned out great! I agree it's difficult to settle into one medium for sure. I envy those makers who seem to have a single focus. It's never been me, so I can relate. I think a lot of us can! Great post, thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cindy, for your kind words about the earrings. I appreciate it! Like you, I sometimes envy those who seem to have a single focus most of the time. But on the flip side, I realize that will never be me. I love to work with way too many things. When I buy components, 99% of the time I am buying them simply because I love them, without any preconceived ideas of what I might do with them. :) I like that. It's challenging, too. lol Thanks again, Cindy!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely article Norbel! Fabulous Earrings too! Love the way you design earrings and feel lucky to own a pair of your designs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely article Norbel! Fabulous Earrings too! Love the way you design earrings and feel lucky to own a pair of your designs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a hard time when someone asks me for a favorite too. I work with clay. And I work with earrings. I love the beads from Africa--trade beads. But then crystal is nice as is making some fimo beads. I tried wrapping marbles but they were heavy for earrings but very pretty. I love many of your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These a way cool. Your wire work and the way you included the 2 rice beads is really creative. Love these!

    ReplyDelete