Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Jingle (Poly)Bells

It's that time of year again---when we're lucky if we can find five spare minutes to rub together in the studio. I don't even need to say it cuz I know you already know---December is a crazy month.

So instead of scrambling to put together a new pair of earrings for you today, I'm going to give myself a break and revisit a pair of my beloved polybells. 

It seems like I always end up using the adjective "beloved" whenever I talk about my polybells. I think it's because I feel so motherly to them---each is its own unique little species made completely by me. No two are alike, so once they're gone, they're gone. I form them out of polymer clay, cure them, hand paint them, seal them, sweet-talk and coo over them...yep, I'm a freakin' weirdo.

This particular pair always reminded me of frilled wood mushrooms or maybe rock lichen. Subtle piney green dappled with bark brown and oyster gray. I balled my own copper headpins using a torch, gave them a simple wire wrap up top, and hung them from my signature long ear wires.

I've had a sincere intention to make more polybells for the past, oh, year or so. At the rate I'm going, maybe I'll get to it by next June?! I mean, hey, flowers don't bloom until the weather warms up, anyways, right?

Happy Wednesday and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Nikki
LoveRoot on Etsy

6 comments:

  1. Nikki, these bells are quite simply amazing. They DO look organic, as in really organic, growing from the ground organic. I know they don't, but they look like you could just fluff them against your fingers and the edges would flake right off. They move me; that's art. I'll be back to visit them again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me what you do with polymer clay. One of these days, I'm finding the time to play with it - but you know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind at all that you revisited this amazing pair of earrings. These are so lovely I can look at them all day. I agree with Norbel, they look really really organic. Beautiful. Ok, I shut up now and go back to drooling over these earrings......

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bells are simply far too awesome to come from someone who doesn't do polymer day-in, day-out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ladies flatter me and then some - thanks for the squeals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely have a way with these bells, nobody else does them quite like you. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete