Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Apostle Island Earrings

Apostle Island Earrings

Ever since I moved to Minnesota long ago, one of my favorite places to go for a long weekend getaway is Lake Superior. In three hours I can be on a rocky beach looking for surf tumbled rocks and driftwood, or just soaking up the sun and the cool breeze. One of my special destinations on Lake Superior destinations is the Apostle Islands. They are located off the shore of Bayfield in northern Wisconsin, still a short trip from my home. These islands are special to me for their rugged beauty and peaceful charm, so much so that I have named a recent collection of jewelry for them.

All of the pieces of my Apostle Islands Collection are a blend of hand faceted gemstones with rustic copper components. For this earring design, I formed sticks of hammered and heat patinated copper to blend with aqua fluorite cubes and apatite square cut beads. Simple and rustic, as is the place for which they are named.

Lake Superior Photo by Damon Ewing

Lake Superior has many moods. In August you may find it smooth as glass; visit again in October and you may see its surly side with powerful wind and crashing waves.

The waters of Lake Superior are usually a deep blue, but every day is different and under the right light conditions it can also be a beautiful shade of green.
















Gloria Ewing

Chrysalis Tribal Jewelry
Chrysalis Too on Etsy

4 comments:

  1. Simple and Beautiful!! I love the photo inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Gloria! Great design details and I LOVE the blue with the copper. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Beautiful.I love the punch of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful simplicity. Everything is just as it should be, no more, no less. I love them! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete